Allergy-Free Snack Ideas for Kids
1 in 13 children has a food allergy in the United States.
A food allergy happens when one's immune system sees a specific food as harmful, causing an allergic reaction. Foods causing allergic reactions are known as allergens. Even if your child does not have a food allergy, they may have a friend or
classmate that does, so it's important to be aware.
90% of all food allergens consist of these top eight foods:
- Dairy (milk)
- Tree nuts (such as almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts)
- Fish (halibut, tuna, or salmon)
- Shellfish (crab, lobster, and shrimp)
There are many options available to eat nutritious and delicious foods while avoiding the top allergens.
- Substituting peanut butter with sunflower seed butter is usually acceptable in school environments.
- Carrots, celery, and snap peas are crunchy alternatives to chips. If you want chips, you can bake homemade sweet potatoes and cassava root chips.
- Reaching for whole foods like apples, pears, and bananas can be options, and pair them with hummus or the sunflower seed butter.
- Plant-based cheese sticks from Daiya Foods are yummy finger foods.
- There are many gluten-free bread and cookies available.
Enjoy Life is a company that avoids all the top allergens and offers cookies, bars,
bagels, lentil chips, seed and fruit trail mixes, to name a few.
Other brands to explore are:
- free2B Foods
- Rule Breaker Snacks
- Yum Earth
- Kween Granola Butter
- Namaste Foods
And of course, KidsLuv drinks are a great complement with these allergen-free snacks! KidsLuv drinks are sugar-free, and a single serving of KidsLuv is filled with the following goodness: Vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and more!
KidsLuv delivers the right mix of Sodium Calcium Citrate to ensure that your little ones get the added benefit of hydration with each sip. In a single serving of KidsLuv, you'll find 25mg of Potassium and 95mg of Calcium. And more importantly, the Vitamins are VEGAN. KidsLuv drinks taste better than any sugar-infused beverage!
Always discuss with your health care provider before starting any new
Nancy Guberti is a Functional Medicine Specialist, Nutritionist, Author,
and passionate about empowering others to become their health advocate.
She is the founder of Total Wellness Empowerment Membership & Podcast,
Look and Feel Great Method, and Raising Achievers & Givers: Positively
Powerful Parent program. Learn more & be empowered at nancyguberti.com.