Summer Fun Ideas for the Kiddos!
post updated 6/7/22
It's summer time!
But...what to do with the kids!?!?
Summertime can be an exciting time for kids. No early wake up times, less structure, and overall more time to just sit back, relax and enjoy.
But for parents this time can be a little daunting. It can be overwhelming trying to find things to do with kids. As working parents it might not be possible to go on vacation, so finding things to do locally can be where the voids of summertime get filled.
Which means happy kids and happy parents!
Here are some ideas to keep kids busy that don't involve camps or travel.
- Find local hikes and parks nearby — there are almost certainly hidden gems right in your local area or backyard! Find a local spot to go on a hike, take a picnic lunch (with KidsLuv!) and bring some board games to reconnect and pass the summer days.
- Take a local art or pottery class — finding a local art class can be a great way to get the kids out of the house for a short time, doing a project, and having fun.
- DIY projects (ie STEM and others) — I love STEM projects and my son loves to experiment. Hop on Amazon and order a project. It can be a great way to pass the time, get the brain turned on, and think outside the box.
- Board games — any and all are fun! We especially love the classics in our house: Clue, Guess Who, Uno, Pictionary, and recently got into Dragon Wood.
- Drawing — the easiest way to keep kids busy is to grab a pen, paper, some colored pencils, and crayons. Make and send cards to friends and family members.
- Cooking projects — I am always cooking so during the summer with the additional downtime I love to engage the kids in some fun recipes and cooking activities! Whether its baking chocolate banana bread, cookies, smoothies, or having them help me with dinner this is an easy way to get having some fun, experimenting and of course enjoying the final product ☺
I hope these ideas help spark some fun times with your kiddos this summer! xoxo